Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Spiritual Diary # 5: Mindful Activism


Today is one of those days. I woke up next to my little one who was also beginning to wake. Because it was early and because she had slept late last night, I knew from previous experience that if I didn't activate her she would go back to sleep. But here was my husband, who woke up along with us today and was thrilled to see that our little one was waking. He cooed to her, kissed her and began to talk to her. Anika was enjoying it but I was upset. I told my husband not to activate her, that she needed her sleep and she would go back to sleep if she was left to herself. I regretted this soon as I said it.
Photo: Charlotte Community of Mindfulness

Thus began my morning, with a 'no!' on my lips and regret on my mind. I wanted it to go away because that's not what a mindful person wakes up with. Unfortunately, I couldn't shake off the feeling that germinated within me and I just went about my morning's spiritual practice with a cloud in my head.

The feeling grew larger and wilder when I 'had' to hurry my practice, take care of some chores and put my baby back to sleep and it culminated in the most unmindful outburst at my mother. Of course, at the end of it my loop of regret and anger at myself only got reinforced. I sat for my  afternoon practice of meditation and saw that I was pushing a part of myself away, like an adult who shushes a child who only knows how to cry when her needs are not met. This imagery instantaneously roused compassion in my heart for the part I was pushing away. So okay, I was angry, I was upset and I was grouchy. I sat with the feeling without trying to decipher who did what to make me go bonkers. The meditation didn't leave me feeling great but I was able to step out of the cycle somewhat and by my evening practice I felt mindful enough to let go.

Why am I sharing this detail? I've just begun to appreciate how immensely important these bad days are in teaching me about myself and about the world around me. We talk about greed, about discrimination, about inequality and about how it is all rests in our hearts. These dark feelings germinate and stay within us much like my anger, dissatisfaction and regret. Often these feels go on to hurt someone else. We hurt our family with our harsh words, we hurt our mother earth with our unmindful deeds and we hurt each other and ourselves with our discriminatory treatment towards one another. Most of all we hurt ourselves. Our anger, greed, fear, insecurity gets reinforced when we try to push it away or try to eliminate it by taking it out on someone else. I don't mean to say we should stop it right away. I tried pushing my anger and it went nowhere. It reinforced itself with every other aspect of my day. What I do mean to point out though, is that what you see on the outside germinates from within. Not being mindful at the start of my day made me look at everything through that lens. Everything seemed unacceptable, including myself. 

My anger towards hate crimes is justified, my anger towards inequalities is further justified, hey! I am a brown woman from a developing country I know what it is to be discriminated against. But this anger that's arising in me, can i just sit with it? Just sit with the anger and not with what happened to anger me. Can I sit with it and accept it? Can I breathe through it and gain a broader perspective? Is there a child within that is being shushed? Whatever it be, understanding the source of our darkness and another persons behavior from this place of accepting our anger (or darkness for that matter)can help us break out of the cycle of hate. I am hopeful about that. What might germinate from understanding is mindful action. I would have woken up with with my husband and baby and spend the early hours of the morning in the cocoon of love that was generated by Anika's smile and my husband's delight.  

You loose an opportunity to love, understand and partake in growth and joy when you act from a place of anger, fear, insecurity, greed-from a place of un-mindfulness. You also gain love, understanding and joy from this same place if you can accept it, breathe and practice in some mindful activities. 

I hope to notice my anger, my greed, my jealousy, my darkness, to see how it manifests within me and outside of me, I hope to take that opportunity to teach me a new way of being. That is activism to me. 





6 comments :

  1. You built up the article so well.

    It is certainly more effective when activism does not come from a place of anger and hate.

    I love the title of the post : Mindful activism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow re baby you are too cool and your story is too cute :-) My Guruji asked us once during a meditation course ki what is the use to society of a great sage silently meditating for years together continuously in the Himalayas? When no one could answer satisfactorily he himself explained that but for such great souls' presence, mankind would have annihilated itself due to hate! He says that the entire planet benefits by the grace of such people even if they do not physically meet a single person! I don't have proof for that but I have surely experienced peace of mind and positive thoughts just by being close to people like my Guruji or in a temple or at a retreat. Just being mindful and living life in this society is enough to transform the society around you! I know this from actual experience. I am sure you will go ahead and transform people's life albeit silently and secretly :*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi prathama, thanks for reading. Yea, I think, when activism is in itself about watching what you do then everything is you do is effective. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Appi!

    That was the cutest comment! I think what you said is pretty amazing. When we become mindful then just the energy of it should suffice to create more mindfulness. I also experience this when you and amma stay mindful.:*

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I hope to notice my anger, my greed, my jealousy, my darkness, to see how it manifests within me and outside of me, I hope to take that opportunity to teach me a new way of being. That is activism to me."

    So perfect it is.
    I wish everyone would take this lesson and implement it. You are fab aarathi! :) I am loving your series!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Srinidhi! Thanks babe, I get all happy when you comment :-) So glad you like the series:*

    ReplyDelete

I highly value your comments.Thank you for taking the time to do so.