Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Spiritual Diary # 2: Experience

Take a moment as you read this to close your eyes and take a deep breath saying 'in' to yourself as you breathe in and saying 'out' as you breathe out. Do this again. And as you finish your second breath let your body relax while you keep your eyes closed for a few moments. Slowly open your eyes after those few moments and go back to reading or doing whatever you were doing before. 

In those calm moments, you just experienced the 'experiencing self'. The self that allows you to stay engaged and absorbed in things you love most. The self that allows you to be mindful and aware of each moment. My lesson for the last two days has been to stay aware of every moment or in my case as many moments as possible.

In a conversation with my sister today she reminded me about a talk we heard on TED.com on happiness. Nobel laureate Daniel Kahneman  talks about how there are two types of selves that inhabit within us-the remembering self and the experiencing self. Kahneman talks about how both the selves experience happiness differently. He says that the experiencing self is the moment to moment interpreter of our lives. The way I understand this is that, this is the self that sustains mindfulness. It is what you just saw for yourself with that short meditation.

In the same link you will see that Martin Seligman talks about what he calls engagement. He says that an engaged life is a life that allows you to become absorbed in love, friendship, work and leisure. It is what keeps your experiencing self at its peak of 'happiness' so to speak. When you enhance the experience of engagement you enhance your well being.

Photo:Plumvillage
Going back to that conversation with my sister, she was telling me how rushed her life feels, how her PhD is pushing her to the brink of insanity almost. She was talking about how her expectations about herself was the main thing to blame. Haven't we all been there? I for one know exactly what she means. I am sure some of you know what it is to work and work till you drop down dead every night only to start over again the next day. Like me, my sister also decided she needed to reorganize her schedule and allow some moments where she can actually experience. That's it. Experience.

On a day-to-day basis I find that, I eat in a mighty hurry, I think about what the next best thing to do is, while already doing something else, I think about how I want to finish something soon enough to do to the next thing. But taking a break, stopping, and taking a deep breath lets me just be.

My book for this first cycle of the spiritual diet asks me to do whatever I do just for its sake. Eating for the sake of eating, washing dishes just for the sake of washing dishes, walking for the sake of walking, etc.Of course there are tons of reasons for doing those things but while you are doing it, just do it as if that is the only thing to do in this moment.

Breathe in-and-out as if that is all there is to do in this moment. Experience. that is all.


5 comments :

  1. It is SO important to step out of the storm in our heads (even if only once in a wee while) to give things some perspective. I am so glad we spoke yesterday and things are already seeming easier :)Love you and this blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree! I am glad we spoke too! I like how you call it "the storm in our heads", it certainly is that. Hopefully we can sustain the breaks we take, that is my effort with the spiritual diet. Love you! :-) :*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so get what you mean. I put so much pressure on myself - to be everywhere and do everything.

    I am supposed to be on a sabbatical but as my husband rightly puts it, I am running around more than I did when I was working full time.

    Lovely post babe. I am sure most people can relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks P! I am glad you like the post. Have you experienced just being?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure, I really have experienced being.

    Probably when I am doing yoga. Soemdays when I am doing yoga, I feel restless and I can't concentrate, then I know I am not in the moment, but usually, I just focus on my body and the movements. It is so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete

I highly value your comments.Thank you for taking the time to do so.