Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Spiritual Diary # 6: Quietening the mind

If you have a minute to spare, just close your eyes and observe what happens in that head of yours. We are plagued by our thoughts. Thoughts about what, when, how and why of any and every thing. It is these thoughts that make us. Indeed, my thoughts create opinions about things and people, they help me understand the world, albeit through a narrow lens, they help me decide on my life's goals and they help me critically analyze what is good for me and the world at large. They prepare me for success and failure. They make us, really. I think, therefore I am.

If you give yourself a few minutes everyday to just watch your thoughts, you will be astound by how repetitive, mundane and tangential they can get. Of course, there are moments of creative thinking, sparks that define us too, but they are thoughts all the same. I think, therefore I am.

But isn't that limiting? 'I', my ego, keeps things in control by thinking-logically, practically, emotionally, but what about the moments when we let go, loose control, surrender and become one, moments when thoughts cease to exist, albeit momentarily?

Are you listening?
Quietening the mind is a process that entails making the ego permeable. Making the 'I' permeable. It entails letting others in, being vulnerable and dropping the controlling aspects of our selves. This, I am learning, happens when you balance the 'being' and 'doing' aspects of yourself.


For me, putting my little baby girl to sleep is one of those moments of letting go and making my ego permeable. If my mind is racing, and is full of thoughts about things to do, I fail to notice what Anika wants. She cries and screams, almost like telling me to focus on something besides myself. Only when I switch from the 'I' state can I really listen to her needs. Only when I cease to think and just be, can I deeply feel connected to my daughter.

I'll bet that most of us have experienced, in one way or another, this connection. When you find a deeper connection with yourself or someone else there is a sense of falling away of the ego. Words have a way of coming in between this understanding. Think about times when just looking at someone arose compassion, love and calmness.

Thoughts separate us from what is.They take us away from connections we can possibly make with others in the present moment. They separate us from deeper connections we can make with ourselves and the world. But how does one not think? In our day-to-day lives there are many moments when we let go and just be. Like when I put my baby to sleep, when I relinquish my stubborn "must have's" to some one else's requests or when I meditate.

Here is a wonderful quote from Mark Epstein's book that is apt in the context of quieting the mind:

"Be Patient, do nothing, cease striving. We find this advice disheartening and therefore unfeasible because we forget it is our own inflexible activity that is structuring the reality. We think that if we do not hustle, nothing will happen and we will pine away. But the reality is probably in motion and after a while we might take part in that motion. But one can't know" -Paul Goodman.



4 comments :

  1. when you are calm and centered you automatically know what others want, that is why silence is so important.
    For me it happens when I meditate. What a neat post Aarathi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ma! So cool you read, and commented :D yes, meditation allows me to quieten my mind too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! This is too cool :-) I want to share this experience I had coincidentally on the very same day you blogged ! It's my experiential proof that if you just silently observe your thoughts without being judgmental, how therapeutic and refreshing it can be instantaneously.

    After one whole previous day of journey to Munich from Delhi via Moscow and being totally sick that night, I had spent the entire day on my feet going around the Productronica exhibition until 7 pm and then had to rush back to my hotel by metrorail, change and rush back for dinner with Komax executives. I was totally exhausted and dint want to go for the dinner as it was already past midnight according to my Indian time. The train was jam packed but luckily I got a seat and ten minutes to close my eyes and just let go and observe. After that I was so charged up that I became the prime mover of the entire team and we had a great dinner before we returned back to the hotel well past midnight Munich time!
    Just ten minutes of silently letting go and being instead of doing is so highly refreshing :-)

    Your experience with baby Anika is also so very apt and nicely said! You can now be aptly titled Rinpoche Aarathi i suppose ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow Appi! that is an amazing example. :P about calling me Rinpoche Aarathi.

    ReplyDelete

I highly value your comments.Thank you for taking the time to do so.